ABA-based Services and Supports for Children and Youth with Autism
Durham ABA-based Services and Supports for Children and Youth with Autism Spectrum Disorders presents:
A Behavioural Approach to Language Assessment and Intervention for Children with Autism
with Dr. Mark L. Sundberg, Ph.D., BCBA-D
February 6 and 7, 2014
Ajax Convention Centre
Those working with children with autism or developmental delays: BCBAs, Behaviour Consultants, Speech-Language Pathologists, Psychologists, Parent Trainers, parents
For more information or to register: Conference brochure and registration form
Grandview Children's Centre is the lead agency for Durham Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA)- Based Services and Supports for Children and Youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
Launched August 4, 2011, Durham ABA-based Services is a collaborative initiative offered by Grandview Children's Centre, Lake Ridge Community Support Services, and Resources for Exceptional Children and Youth - Durham Region for service delivery, and UOIT (University of Ontario Institute of Technology) for evaluation purposes.
Funded through the Ontario Ministry of Children and Youth Services, the program is available to children from birth to 17 years of age with a diagnosis of ASD, and their families.
Referrals are accepted from parents/guardians, as well as service providers and health professionals.
ABA-based Services will:
- help children and youth with ASD develop skills in the areas of: behaviour management/emotional regulation, communication, social/interpersonal, or daily living skills
- emphasize the role of parents/guardians and caregivers and provide education on how to apply ABA strategies so they can help their children maintain or generalize these skills
- involve an assessment of the child's/youth's strengths and needs
- involve between 2 to 6 months of service, depending on the child's/youth's needs and the goal area identified
- be delivered through individual and/or group sessions as appropriate
- typically be conducted between 2 to 4 hours per week
Who is eligible?
- children and youth from 0 to 17 years of age (up until their 18th birthday)
- families living in the Central East Region of Ontario: Durham Region, Simcoe County, York Region, Peterborough, City of Kawartha Lakes, Northumberland, or Haliburton Counties
- children and youth with a confirmed diagnosis of an ASD, including: Autism/Autistic Disorder, PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified), Asperger syndrome
- written confirmation of diagnosis must be provided by a Family Physician, Pediatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist, or Psychological Associate
- children currently receiving or waiting for government-funded IBI (Intensive Behavioural Intervention) services are also eligible if deemed appropriate
How to apply
- parents/guardians can call directly, or service providers may assist families in making a referral to the program
- please note: you will need to provide written confirmation of the diagnosis of ASD for your child/youth
- families living in Durham Region call ABA Intake at Grandview Children's Centre: 905-728-1673 x 2248 or toll free 1-800-304-6180 x 2248
- families living in Simcoe County or York Region call: 1-866-377-0286
- families living in Four Counties call: 1-888-454-6275
After you apply
An initial intake will be conducted to determine if your child/youth is eligible. Once eligibility is confirmed, the child's/youth's name will be forwarded to the ABA Central Waitlist for the Central East Region managed by Kinark Child and Family Services.
Families whose children are deemed eligible will receive additional information about the program, and the next steps for assessment and program orientation. Click here to view a 30-minute ABA Orientation session - for your convenience, the presentation is offered in four short segments.