Historically, Campbell Children's School and Grandview Children’s Centre have evolved as partners in treating and educating children with physical disabilities. Members of the Parent Council worked diligently in setting up a treatment centre and school in the Oshawa area and in finding appropriate facilities.
||The Parent Council met for the first time on March 21st, 1953. These parents, including Ralph and Bea Campbell, were taking their children to Toronto once or twice a week for physio-therapy and speech therapy at private clinics. It was their desire to establish a clinic in Oshawa.
||In 1954 a Play School started, held once a week in Rotary Hall, under the leadership of parent volunteers. An education program for the children operated two days a week, and the first teachers were volunteers. Services of a physiotherapist were added to what was then called the Oshawa and District Cerebral Palsy School and Clinic. Up to this time, all the funds to operate the school and clinic were raised by the Parent Council.
||A teacher was hired in September 1955 with all expenses paid by the Parent Council. In the fall of 1956, the school was recognized by the Ontario Department of Education and a grant provided for the teacher’s salary.
||By 1957, transportation for the school-aged children was provided and a second teacher was hired as well as a full-time physiotherapist.
||In 1961, the Women’s Welfare League assumed the administration of the Centre and the institution was known as the Simcoe Hall Crippled Children’s School and Treatment Centre.
||By 1963, more space was needed. The Public School Building on Bloor Street East was deeded to the Women’s Welfare League by the Oshawa Board of Education. The Parent Council renovated and painted the main floor of the building with money they had raised.
||By 1966, another expansion was necessary. The official opening of the new Bloor St. E. building was on June 21st, 1967.
||About ten years later, the treatment centre needed more space for increased enrolment. Supported by the newly appointed District Health Council, the Centre received a commitment from the Ministry of Health to cost-share an expansion.
||The present facility opened on August 13th, 1983. In 1987 the Centre’s name changed to Grandview Rehabilitation & Treatment Centre of Durham Region while the School Board changed its name to the Campbell Children’s School Board of Education, in honour of Ralph and Bea Campbell.
In 2000, Campbell Children’s School Board of Education became what is now known as the Campbell Children’s School Authority.
Today Campbell Children's School Authority is funded by the Ministry of Education and administered by a volunteer Board of Trustees. Parents on the School Council serve in an advisory capacity. There is close liaison with the Grandview Children's Centre Board of Directors and the Grandview Children's Centre Foundation.